You've found us- Chicago's only B&W Community Darkroom! We are a membership-based non-profit. Sign up for a membership and complete two orientations and enjoy 24 hour access! We offer a variety of classes covering beginner to advanced darkroom techniques. For those who aren't members, join us for our weekly Print Out open house on Wednesdays from 7-10pm.
$75 FOR 30 DAYS
Chicago Community Darkroom was formed with the idea that we could offer a refuge for those who shoot film. Whether it's developing film in a canister, or printing photographs using light and silver, our memberships offer you the chance to make art at your own pace. While modern technology can afford us the ability to never miss a shot, we feel that taking your time to craft one shot into its full potential warrants time and attention.
A 30-day membership includes:
- Unlimited usage upon completion of two orientations (included in membership fee).
- All standard chemicals for developing film and processing prints.
- Members supply their own paper.
- There is no contract. We do send a notice with a $5 off renewal discount prior to the end of your 30 days. You have the option of renewing online to continue your membership. You can do nothing, or rejoin us at a later time.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your orientation sessions.
B+W FILM 101 $50
Join us for a hands-on lesson in how to develop your very own roll of B+W film. If you've had laying around undeveloped, or have always been curious to take out that old camera, now's the chance to learn how to get your hands dirty and develop your own film!
A negative sleeve is recommended for safely transporting your developed film. Chicago Community Darkroom will supply all the chemistry and equipment necessary, all you need to bring is an undeveloped roll of B+W film and we'll show you the rest! (Note: C-41 process film cannot be used)
MONDAY OCT. 9TH 6:30-9:30PM
PRINTING 101 $60
Join us for Printing 101, a class catered to those who have the interest, but maybe not the skills, to bring photographs to life. We will show you how to print your black and white negatives onto emulsion paper, from start to finish.
Topics include photographic chemistry, contact sheets, when and why to use test strips, and techniques to help you get a print you can be proud of.
Photographic paper will be provided, however we encourage you to bring in your own negatives to print from.